Pupils from Farmilo Primary and Mapplewells Primary have successfully completed Mansfield Town’s Sky Bet League Two Journey, cycling or walking over 900 miles each over the last two weeks, in Football in the Community’s ‘Race to Wembley’ event!
Over 200 Children from each school have taken part so far, competing either at home or back in School to complete the Stags’ journey as part of Football in the Community’s Virtual link-up through the Premier League Primary Schools Project, encouraging participants to exercise and have fun by cycling, walking, running or playing.
The Primary Schools initially had three weeks to complete the 854.4-mile distance, where miles equalled miles through walking or cycling, and set achievements within sports games earned the pupils and their schools a mile.
During the final week of term there will be a ‘Cup Final’ style activity for the schools, with every 90 miles passed on their journey during the build-up earning them points which give them an advantage within the final – after week two, Farmilo narrowly lead with 11 points to 10!
Jordan Ferrer, PL Primary Stars Coordinator, said “We initially set a target of 284.8 miles per week over three weeks, however we’re delighted that this has been absolutely smashed and that both schools have not only completed the journey early, but have completed at least an extra 100 miles!
“The feedback we’ve had has been nothing short of phenomenal with family’s taking on the challenge together, getting out of the house and doing something positive through this difficult period.
“I’m delighted to see the children finish the initial journey a week ahead of schedule and I now challenge them to travel to Wembley from the One Call Stadium and back again – a total target of 272 miles.
“However this time around, bonus points will be awarded for every 50 miles achieved OVER the target.
“I want to say a massive well done to everyone who took part, no matter if you completed one mile for your school or a hundred, you’ve done yourselves proud”
During the second week of the competition, Mapplewells Primary School completed a whopping 741 miles, taking their total to 957 miles – whilst Farmilo Primary added a further 531 miles to their total, virtually travelling 997 miles over two weeks!
Stars of The Week
Each week teachers from each school nominate people who have gone above and beyond for their school – this week, Football in the Community extends a massive well done to the following pupils
- Francesca and Bruce who are enjoying exploring their local area as a family.
- Frankie – Who did a 2.5mile walk on her birthday to build up miles for school!
- Harrison who climbed Mam Tor this weekend (and took a photo to prove it!)
- Daniel who’s enjoying being a team player for school.
- Thea and Chloe (F2) for their fantastic bike riding
- Honey, Harry and Harley for lots of family bike riding
- Elsie – using the challenge to motivate her to improve her physical strength
- Luca – using the challenge to also help support Diabetes UK
- Noah – enjoying his 4 mile walk around Wollaton Park
- Ethan and Morgan – racking up the miles on their new treadmill
- Lana and Sam (y2) for their incredible amount of speed bounces!